Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cabbage Beet Coleslaw

I have been trying hard to make sure that I do not waste any of my lovely CSA vegetables.  At the end of the week, I was left with a couple of beets, some shredded cabbage, bell peppers, and a cucumber.  Well, who knew that cabbage and beets could be such a winning combination?!  I stumbled upon this recipe for cabbage beet coleslaw from the kitchn.  I loved the complexity of flavors - sweetness from the beets and honey, crunch of the cabbage, acidity from the vinegar, citrus from orange zest, zing of the dijon, and the distinctive taste of the caraway - delightful.  I enjoyed this salad even more for lunch the next day.  The perfect way to use the cabbage and the beets. 

The next day I made stuffed bell peppers ( stuffed with ground turkey, arborio rice, locatelli romano cheese, bread crumbs and eggs).  I topped the peppers with homemade marinara and fresh mozzarella- delicious!  I served the peppers with a side of cucumber salad.  Another successful CSA week.  Have a great weekend! 

9 comments:

  1. The color alone makes it worth trying. I love the way you've described your creation. It sounds delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so colorful. And, cabbage and beets are fav veggies for me!

    Your stuffed peppers sound delish!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I just stumbled across another beet/slaw blog postand even though I am not a beet-eater, I felt compelled to make it. This does look inviting and it is oh so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love beets! Especially when they are pickled :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks like a very tasty slaw!! sometimes you come up with great results by using what you have on hand! your slaw is perfect example!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a creative way to use up all your produce, I bet it tasted great! I'm loving how your stuffed peppers sound! Will there be a post?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! This is so creative. I am a beet fan too. I am loving the stuffed peppers too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes the best recipes are pure coincidence like this! It looks fantastic, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting recipe. I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete