Sunday, August 16, 2009

Food, Inc. - Post Review



Well, I am really glad that I splurged on grass-fed ground beef for my burger craving! I actually really liked the film (Food, Inc. - previous post) and did not find it to be propaganda-ish. I hate scare tactic type films, but did not get the sense with this one. My daughters and I saw Food, Inc. at The Showroom in Asbury Park. The theater has been open for only 4 months. We found it to be a cute venue - $8 tickets, a small viewing room, nice crowd, after-movie panel discussion and free gifts- not too bad! I would categorize myself as a "quirky-conservative." I tend to be conservative in basic values but I am also open-minded. I basically believe in small-government and people helping people - in a nutshell. I am definitely a locavore - I learned today that the term actually made Merriam Webster! I am not at all radical but live responsibly and treat others as I would like to be treated. The film made some very good points - but I wasn't shocked by most of it. I stopped buying supermarket ground beef and oversized chickens long ago - they seem unnatural and kind of gross. I was sort of surprised by the soy bean information and repulsed by the level of animal and worker cruelty. Overall, I'm glad that I saw the film. I will need to rethink my purchases of supermarket chicken and pork - I already avoid most of the film's worst offenders. Tonight's dinner is pasta with local eggplant!

No comments:

Post a Comment