Thursday, September 23, 2010

Watermelon, Feta And Black Olive Salad - Farewell to Summer

I am going to miss summer's bounty!  I have been enjoying tons of fresh, local produce and although it is officially fall, I don't want to say goodbye just yet.  This week we received watermelon in our CSA box and I finally made Nigella Lawson's Watermelon, Feta and Black Olive Salad which I have vowed to make for quite a while. I was sure that I would love it since I am an olive and feta freak. Kalamata olives, imported Greek feta, watermelon and red onions from my CSA box and some fresh mint from the mint fairy at work combined with parsley, lime juice, olive oil and fresh black pepper - perfect combination! Some kind person leaves cups of fresh mint in the kitchen at my office - I am not sure who it is but I appreciate it!  WOW - this salad sure did not disappoint. It was just delicious - so refreshing and flavorful!

Happy fall everyone!  I am heading to CT to visit my baby.  I can't believe that I haven't seen her since August! 



Courtesy of Nigella Lawson

Ingredients
1 small Red Onion
2 - 4 Lime depending on the juiciness
1½ kg sweet, ripe Watermelon
250 g Feta cheese
fresh Flat-leaf parsley
fresh Mint chopped
4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
100 g pitted Black Olives
Black pepper

Method:   Peel and halve the red onion and cut into very fine half-moons and put in a small bowl to steep with the lime juice, to bring out the transparent pinkness in the onions and diminish their rasp.

Two limes’ worth should do it, but you can find the fruits disappointingly dried up and barren when you cut them in half, in which case add more.

Remove the rind and pips from the watermelon, and cut into approximately 4cm triangular chunks, if that makes sense (maths is not my strong point).

Cut the feta into similar sized pieces and put them both into a large, wide shallow bowl.

Tear off sprigs of parsley so that it is used like a salad leaf, rather than a garnish, and add to the bowl along with the chopped mint.

Tip the now glowingly puce onions, along with their pink juices over the salad in the bowl, add the oil and olives, then using your hands toss the salad very gently so that the feta and melon don’t lose their shape.

Add a good grinding of black pepper and taste to see whether the dressing needs more lime.

10 comments:

  1. Looks delish! I might have to give this a try. Summer is over but tomorrow it will be 90 again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    This recipe is in the Wms Sonoma Cooking For Friends book, and I had it bookmarked, but never got around to serving watermelon this summer!
    Last yr I made a watermelon feta and tomato salad that was amazing!
    Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip visiting your daughter, Jen.

    I'll keep this recipe for next summer. Looks fabulous...I could never have enough watermelon.

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the perfect salad to say goodbye to summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nooooo say it isn't so....the end of summer :( I guess I won't miss the 100 degree weather but I will miss the delicious fresh fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This salad sounds so refreshing and flavorful! I'll miss the flavors of summer but this salad is a lovely way to say goodbye. I hope you have a wonderful time with your daughter in CT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This salad looks delicious- what a perfect way to say goodbye to summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this salad! Will miss summer so much... but there's always something lovely coming up. Enjoy the time with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful salad Jen, but unfortunately this weekend I'll need something warm and toasty, because it's cold outside and inside my house, I almost want to put the heat on... Almost. I'll save you yummy salad for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great way of bidding farewell to summer! That salad is magnificent.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete