Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Weekend Eats

Ahhhh... Labor Day Weekend, the signal that summer is winding down but rest assured I will be holding on to the season as long as possible.  In NJ, the weather is just gorgeous in September - warm days and cool nights.  Here at the Shore, the crowds subside, and the locals really get to enjoy what the area has to offer.  We still have lots of delicious fresh summer produce available and my beloved NJ tomatoes.  This weekend we enjoyed some good old classics and made use of the grill and the picture perfect weather for dining al fresco.

I can't believe that my daughters went to college just last weekend - it feels like at least a month has gone by.  I am still struggling to get used to how quiet the house is and I just plain miss them! On the bright side, I won't have to fill out all of those back to school forms or attend back to school night - I'm really trying to see the bright side here!   

Happy Labor Day! 

Cheddar and Horseradish Burgers (horesradish, worcestershire, salt, pepper) with caramelized red onions served on an English Muffin - unbelievably good!
Grilled Strip Steaks with caramelized onions, thyme, and balsamic vinegar - I don't eat steaks often but boy does a good steak taste delicious every so often! 
Fresh NJ Corn served with cayenne and lime - delicious and low calorie.
Homemade roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella, NJ tomato and basil served with crusty Italian bread, good olive oil and good balsamic - I can make a meal of this alone! 
The classic 1970's shrimp cocktail but I roasted the shrimp instead of boiling and added a bit of sriracha to the cocktail sauce - fantastic!
Grilled Double Eggplant Pizza - I call this "double eggplant" because I added roasted eggplant to my marinara and then topped the pizza with white eggplant slices - delicious!

7 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous shrimp cocktail!
    Happy Labor Day Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good-looking burger, Jen! I love the caramelized onion on it. I hope you had a wonderful Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those caramelized onions are making me hungry, Jen. And what a super idea to use lime and cayenne for your corn. Going to try that one!
    Need I say, when I tell you how much I love eggplant, that your pizza wins the prize today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - so much good food! I am truly drooling right now. I am especially loving those caramelized onions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What good-looking food! Now I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A veritable feast. Every morsel looks delicious. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete