I have been craving theses tacos - so incredibly fast and easy - and absolutely OMG amazing! I promise you will not miss the meat! The black beans scented with cumin are so good and combine beautifully with the crisp, fresh slaw made with fresh cilantro, lime juice, green onions, olive oil and hot sauce. I picked up a fresh, NJ cabbage from the farm market and shredded it myself. You could use a bagged coleslaw mix as well. A little kick from the hot sauce and the tang of the feta - divine. A really nice depth of flavors from something so simple, healthy and budget friendly. These are addictive!
Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw
1 can (15-ounce) black beans, drained
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 white or yellow corn tortillas
1 tablespoon lime juice
5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 cups coleslaw mix
2 scallions, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Ground black pepper, to taste
Hot sauce, to taste (I use Frank's Red Hot)
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. In a small bowl, combine the beans, cumin and salt. Use a fork to partially mash. Divide the mixture between the tortillas, spreading it evenly over 1 side of each. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the lime juice and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Add the coleslaw mix, scallions and cilantro, then toss well. Season with pepper and hot sauce. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the remaining 3 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the tortillas in a single layer, bean side up, in batches if necessary, and cook for 1 minute.
4. Fold the tacos in half, then cook for about another minute per side, or until golden brown.
5. Fill each taco with a quarter of the coleslaw mixture and the feta cheese. If desired, drizzle with additional hot sauce.
Recipe Source: Bon Appetit Magazine (February 2009)
by the Bon Appetit Test Kitchens