Thursday, October 1, 2009

In Search of the Perfect College and Perfect Tomato Pie!



Back on the college hunt! We are actively searching for the perfect college for my younger daughter. We have a short list - well actually a long list! A Boston area college, that's on the list, was holding an information session, not too far away. So my daughter and I decided to go, and while in the area, why not go to one of our very favorite pizza places? Food somehow makes its way into most of my plans :). Wait, did I say pizza? Pardon me, it's tomato pie. So what's the difference? Supposedly, the order of toppings - cheese, other toppings, followed by canned tomatoes. No pizza sauce or grated cheese are served. The crust is cooked until just shy of being burned. The pie is then unevenly sliced - no perfect triangles here! May sound a little strange but it's so good!

DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies is a NJ institution! Established in 1947 in Trenton, NJ. We visited the relatively new 2nd location in Robbinsville, which is really nice but I still have fond memories of the Trenton location. I haven't been back to the Trenton location since the owner "Chick" DeLorenzo passed away a couple of years ago. He was very proud of his tomato pies! The Trenton location is definitely a throw back - old manual cash register, rotary phone, no bathroom, celebrity photos, and a line out the door... oh and delicious tomato pies! The Robbinsville location is so nice - open kitchen, nice decor, friendly staff, bathrooms, and still delicious tomato pies. It's definitely my location of choice from now on.

I wanted to share some photos of this legendary NJ tomato pie but we forgot the camera. So sad, all I have are pictures of cold leftover slices in a non-environmentally friendly take away box and a a half wilted salad :(. If you are a pizza aficionado, such as myself, DeLorenzo's should be on your must try list. I found a great review and pictures of DeLorenzo's on Roadfood.com.

4 comments:

  1. I've never had a tomato pie, but I'm definitely interested...wish I could find one around here! I hope the college hunt is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    Thank goodness I live an hour from Trenton, or I would be at DeLorenzo's every single day!
    I have not tried the Robbinsville location yet, but here it is just as good.
    You need to come up to Parsippany and try Resevoir Tavern, not a thin "tomato pie", but a great burned bubble crust pizza. Wait in line about an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stacey! I will definitely try out Resevoir Tavern. I don't mind the drive or the wait for great pizza!

    ReplyDelete