Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Brazilian Shrimp Soup

I loved, loved, loved this soup. Tasty, one pot, simple, hearty, yet healthy. I love the balance of the sweetness from the coconut milk with the spice of the crushed red pepper and the saltiness of the shrimp - *drool*.

Brazilian Shrimp Soup
Recipe by Quick From Scratch Soups & Salads
foodandwine.com

I saw this recipe posted a while back on Savory Spicy Sweet and it looked so good! I've had it on my mind ever since! I added extra crushed red pepper flakes as Liz suggested.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup long-grain rice
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (from one 15-ounce can)
5 cups water
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and cut in half horizontally
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro

Directions
1.In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.
2.Add the rice, red-pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until the rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes.
3.Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Bring back to a simmer and then stir in the shrimp. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just done, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the black pepper, lemon juice, and parsley.

Notes
Variation: Instead of the shrimp, use one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about three), cut crosswise into quarter-inch strips. Cook for the same amount of time.

3 comments:

  1. I am seeing coconut milk everywhere these days! The tomato/cocunut milk combo reminds me of my favorite soup with shrimp from our local Thai place. I look forward to giving this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds perfect with the slight sweetness of the coconut milk! And I love a one pot meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always looking for another way to use shrimp. This soup looks amazing. I love using coconut milk in recipes as well.

    ReplyDelete