Sunday, October 11, 2009

Honeycrisp Apples

Thank you Andrew for spreading the word on Honeycrisp apples! Who knew the best apples, which originated at the University of Minnesota, would be grown at local NJ orchards (Terhune Orchards in Princeton and Peaceful Valley Orchards in *oh my* Pittstown, NJ)? I grew up in Hunterdon County and often rode my bike to Pittstown. My love of vegetables, farm markets, etc. all began there. Ah... Pittstown, home of Dalrymple's Market (later Kuch's), Bodine Lumber and the Pittstown Inn... None of which probably exist today! Wow - probably just totally dated myself! Well anyway, these "best apples" are Honeycrisp (hybrid -cross between Macoun and Honeygold) and if you haven't tried them yet - please do! They are very crisp, sweet, but also a little tart - perfect! They are expensive but worth it. I actually picked mine up at Costco but would love to get them at one of the NJ orchards. http://honeycrisp.com/honeycrisp.html
Apples are perfect in a fall salad!

Fall Salad

mesclun mix
apple slices (preferably Honeycrisp)
crumbled feta (or goat cheese)
toasted pecans (or walnuts)
red onion slices (I did not add this time)
balsamic vinaigrette - Epicurious March 2003

4 comments:

  1. Honeycrisps are one of my favorite apples as well. They look perfect in this delicious salad. I bet crumbled bleu cheese would also be incredible in this salad...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bleu cheese but unfortunately my daughters are not fans :( I agree bleu cheese would be excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those apples, and also this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried these apples from a farm stand in Martinsville....so good!

    ReplyDelete