Thursday, September 10, 2009

Part-Time Vegetarian

I am trying out a new eating plan - 3 nights meat, 2 nights seafood, and 2 vegetable main course nights. Can I pull this off? I've eased my husband into this; he's fine with the black bean tacos and falafel but we will see if vegetarian nights works on a regular basis. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I am adopting this plan for both health and monetary reasons. I am spending much more on organic/grass-fed/free-range meats. I also really do like many of the vegetarian recipes that I make (so not too much of a sacrifice - for me anyway!). Tonight's recipe was inspired by Cooking Light Cavatappi with Spinach, Beans, and Asiago Cheese. I adapted the recipe based on the comments and my personal preference. I served the pasta with a basic green salad and Italian bread (served with fresh roasted red peppers, asiago cheese, and olive oil dipping sauce). I can definitely make this work!

8 oz. DeCecco Fusilli
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp, red pepper flakes
10 oz. fresh baby spinach chopped
1 can of cannellini beans drained and rinsed
3/4 cup grated asiago cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper

Cook the pasta according to package in salted water.
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet, add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook the garlic until softened. In a large bowl combine the beans, asiago cheese, salt, pepper, and the cooked garlic. Place the spinach in a colander. When the pasta is done, drain it in the colander containing the spinach. Add the hot pasta and wilted spinach to the other ingredients. Toss and serve immediately. Fast, healthy and budget-friendly. Perfect for a busy weeknight!

2 comments:

  1. The pasta and the salad look soo yummy, I'll have to try this.
    I'm with you on the less meat, less spending, less fat (for me) thing. I cooked almost vegetarian every night and my family has adjust pretty well to this. I can eat the veggies any way the are, but to make them more ejoyable for my fam I have added more condiments I didn't use before and they turn out great, also lots of grilling brings out the true falvor as well.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete