Friday, September 25, 2009

It's Mallomar Season in NJ

We have tomato season, blueberry season, etc., but did you know that we have Mallomar season? A NJ original only available the end of September through March! Same recipe since 1913 - how many products can say that?!

What is a Mallomar? A round graham cracker, topped with a marshmallow, and coated in dark chocolate. The first packages were sold in West Hoboken (NJ). 70% of all Mallomars are sold in the NY/NJ metro area. Similar treats are enjoyed all over the world. Originally created in Denmark, they are known as chocolate teacakes in the UK and Krembo in Israel. Check out this link to see how important a part of the American culture Mallomars are. A packaged cookie (Nabisco) with such a rich history - who knew?
It's been a very busy and long week! Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. I love love love Mallowmars! I wonder if I can get them in Minneapolis? Humm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can't find them in your area, just email me your address, and I will be happy to send a box. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've lived in NJ all my life and never knew about Mallowmars!

    ReplyDelete