Saturday, February 26, 2011

Summer Foods in February



I am positively craving summer foods!  I want corn on the cob, grilled clams and fresh local berries!  One problem - it is February...This is the time of year when I am officially done with winter.  No more snow - please!  I want to wear flip flops and sunscreen.

I guess that summer will be here eventually, but in the meantime, I made a summer meal in February.  On the menu was Cilantro-Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa (a delicious and simple five star recipe from Cooking Light), saffron rice and Cornmeal-Olive Oil Cake with Balsamic-Macerated Strawberries and Basil.  Delicious! 

I followed Emeril's recipe for the cake but he serves his with poached peaches in rosemary-honey syrup (I will try this when good peaches are available).  I used a biscuit cutter to make individual cakes and served them with balsamic-macerated strawberries and fresh basil.  
 
Cake Recipe Courtesy: Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly grease and flour a 9 by 2-inch round cake pan.

Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the cornmeal.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs, egg yolk, milk, olive oil and lemon zest until frothy. Add the sugar and honey, and mix to combine. Add the dry ingredients and beat until the batter is smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes, or until a tester comes out with a few crumbs adhering.

Macerated Strawberries - granulated sugar, balsamic vinegar, sliced strawberries

7 comments:

  1. I am so with you on the NO MORE SNOW business. I'm ready for summer and all of it's beautiful produce. This looks like such a delicious meal! Every component looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pretty post full of summer foods is just what I needed...I am so ready for warmer weather! :) Everythink looks delicious, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart idea, Jen. If the warmth can't be outside, make it in your kitchen!
    I've been wanting to try an olive oil cake for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also been craving summer foods...corn on the cob especially. Fresh summer produce will be here before we know it this year...I am feeling so hopeful and positive about this. That chicken looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always good to bring a little summer into the winter time. Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole meal looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh...I can't wait for summer. Delish!

    ReplyDelete