Monday, February 28, 2011

Eat. Live. Be. Topic #8: Let’s Talk Portions


In an attempt to curb my portion distortion, I use luncheon plates and salad forks.  I prefer a fuller small plate than an empty dinner plate.  There is something more satisfying about eating from a full plate.  I also like to pre-portion my food and resist the urge for seconds by wrapping the leftovers, placing them in the refrigerator or freezer before I eat.  I use a kitchen scale when portioning meat and fish and a cup measure for cereal.  Another trick is to fill at least half your plate with vegetables before adding the protein or starch.  I don't buy cookies or chips so I don't have to worry about portioning those items :)  Pasta is where I go the most astray - I over make it and overeat it!  I have banished the pasta bowls that I used to use and pasta is now also served on a luncheon plate (piled high!)


Individual Crustless Quiche

Here are a few links to delicious portion controlled dishes from some of my favorite sites:

Turkey Meatloaf Muffins topped with Spinach and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes For the Love of Cooking
Individual Potato Gratins Stacey Snacks
Mini Ricotta, Eggplant and Pasta Timbales Proud Italian Cook
Red Peppers Stuffed with Orzo and Feta Cheese One Perfect Bite
Dad's Rice Pudding Kalofagas
Lasagna Cupcakes  The Kitchn
Crustless Quiche Mark Bittman
Bouchons au thon  Journey of an Italian Cook

Muffin tins, ramekins, cookie and biscuit cutters are all great tools to use when creating individual portions.  Sharing is another way to exercise portion control - half the calories!  I would love to hear any ideas that you have to keep portion sizes under control.

9 comments:

  1. I also TOTALLY use smaller dishes in order to control my portions. It's much more satisfying to eat from a fully loaded dish than from a half full dish even if it's the same amount of food. Total mind trick! Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is that quiche? Thanks for adding my turkey meatloaf muffins and a link back to my site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out. And I love the idea for pasta control. I can do portion control until the pasta arrives! I can eyeball the "cup of pasta" I am limited to. When I think how I ate 4 cups in one sitting - no wonder I got chunky! But portion control is the savior isn't it - because when that is mastered you can truly have anything you nwant - just not in copious amounts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, You turned that crustless Quiche into a work of art! Love anything in the shape of a heart, and if you can eat it too? What could be better?
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that idea for quiche, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my biggest challenges. When I plate our dinner, I usually give both myself and my husband equally large portions. I seriously should not be eating as much as he does! I'll take your tips (and your reader's tips) into serious consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pasta is the killer for me that I can eat by the bowl full. Great idea using a smaller plate as it really fools the eye!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eating on a small plate is such a great tip! It's one if use often :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I eat on small plates, then I go back for seconds! ha ha

    ReplyDelete