Saturday, July 2, 2011

Kohlrabi, Fennel and Blueberry Salad

One of this week's CSA box items was kohlrabi. What to do with kohlrabi?  Well I started hunting around for some interesting use for it and turned to the ever reliable Food and Wine ingredient search.  The search brought me to Top Chef Stephanie Izard of Chicago's Girl and The Goat's Kohlrabi, Fennel and Blueberry Salad.  A quick Google search revealed just how well-liked this salad is so I became sold on making it.  I had wonderful local organic blueberries on hand - bonus!  All I needed was the fennel and some goat cheese. 

While I was making this salad, with the help of Cailyn, I really began to doubt my sanity!  So many ingredients - could this possibly work and actually taste good?  Cailyn claimed that the combination of ingredients sounded disgusting and Matt walked by and said, with a look of disgust, "there are blueberries in the salad?"  Well, once the salad was all assembled it looked pretty and fresh.  All of the components were really delicious on their own (I tasted along the way...) Crisp kohlrabi, toasty almonds, juicy blueberries... and the cheese I chose Cypress Grove Midnight Moon goat cheese - amazing!  I love, love, love this cheese. 

We all sat down and with trepidation took our first bites of the salad.  Well it was amazing!  I absolutely adored the salad and every last bite of it disappeared.  If you see kohlrabi at your local farmers market or get it from a CSA box, make this salad - you won't regret it!  Thank you Stephanie Izard!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I had seen this a couple of days ago. I made a slaw with my kohlrabi (combined with apples and carrots). It was very nice, but this looks intriguing. I love how it uses seasonal blueberries as well. Bookmarking this in case I find some kohlrabies at the farmer's market this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are definitely on the same wave length, Jen! I bought some kohlrabi and am going to roast it tonight. My mother cooked with it (can't remember what though) and I thought I'd give it a try.
    I looked up some recipes online and saw a salad made with fennel and kohlrabi...wasn't sure how good it would be. So I'm so pleased to read you made one and that is was good. I'll sure try that next.

    Glad you like my little side blog....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful salad this is! Love the sweet/savory flavors in it. That cheese really sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of kohlrabi...but now I am on a mission to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! My daughter and I ate the kohlrabi raw right out of the CSA box this week...used the greens as a side dish for dinner. Hoping we get them again this week - would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had kohlrabi once and didn't love it. But you've convinced me that it deserves a second chance! this salad looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! I know we will be getting kohlrabi at some point in our CSA this year. I will have to keep this recipe in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny! I had thought the same thing when I got kohlrabi in my csa box. I love this recipe! I'll have to try it when mine starts back up. (mine doesn't start back up till November.) I swear it's now one of my favs though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kohlrabi is all over our markets and I do confess that I never know what to do with it - it seems to be crisp and crunchy so the blueberries would be grand. Yes, I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, You made me laugh with the description on this. My daughter made a salad with watermelon, feta, cilantro and some other ingredients...I was quite sure that I would not care for it...it was good. Taught me to be a little more open minded...now I will put the nastutiums in the salad and tell everyone to eat up!! When you have time you should come by and walk through the community garden with me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting and healthy looking salad! Great photos Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This kohlrabi salad looks gorgeous and sounds just wonderful, so glad to hear it was well worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete