What are my goals?
1) Not to Waste Food - Yes, I am guilty of wasting food too often and it drives me crazy. I have a tendency to go crazy at farmers markets and then stress about trying to use everything while it is still fresh. I also apparently hoard DeCecco pasta, different types of vinegar and marinara sauce - although I make my own 99% of the time (marinara sauce that is, not vinegar)! Expensive ingredients only needed for one recipe are also problematic.
My grandparents never wasted anything, not one string bean or pea. Their garbage can was the tiniest one I had ever seen, unlike the monstrosity that is picked up with a fork lift-like arm from in front of my house each week. I recycle what I can and really try not to waste but... well... I will work on it...
2) Get Organized - which will help me with the first goal - take a look at my pantry - scary! Anyone have any advice on this one? It is kind of organized chaos and I know where to find things most of the time!... yes I need to work on it! Oh, and I have a cabinet filled with canned goods too! I will get the pantry organized and continue on to the other problem areas!
3) Don't buy anything with more than five ingredients in it - words of wisdom from the great Mark Bittman - "In a store, there are very few foods that have more than five ingredients that aren't junk food." I already avoid buying junk food but will religiously stick to Mark Bittman's advice in 2011! I won't buy anything with high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, artificial sweeteners, MSG, artificial colors, hormones, antibiotics - ick!!!
In addition to these goals I plan on continuing changes that I have made in the past year(s):
- Buy organic and local foods
- Never eat fast food
- Eat vegetarian meals at least twice a week
- Limit wine, cheese and chocolate :(
Please check out the following lovely blogs to see the other participant's New Year challenges. I am excited to see the other posts!
Sarah Caron - http://www.sarahscucinabella.com/
Cate O’Malley - http://www.sweetnicks.com/
Maris Callahan - http://www.ingoodtasteblog.net/
Chris Arpante - http://www.melecotte.com/
Faith - http://www.clickblogappetit.com/
Kristen - http://www.dineanddish.net/
Emily - http://andersonfamilycrew.blogspot.com/
Jenna - FireMom - http://www.stopdropandblog.com/
Joanne - http://www.joanne-eatswellwithothers.com/
Casey - http://www.thestarnesfam.com/
Patsy - http://www.friendsfamilyandfood.blogspot.com/
Tri-Fit Mom - http://www.trifitmom.blogspot.com/
Claire from Cooking is Medicine www.cookiedoc.blogspot.com/
Allison from http://www.sweetflours.blogspot.com/