Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dinner for Two



One daughter away at Disney and one away at college. The house is too quiet! Our poor little cocker spaniel and I are not too happy!

I did take the opportunity, however, to make a nice dinner for two. The inspiration for this dish came from a local Italian restaurant's menu (La Dolce Vita). I have never had this pasta dish but the menu description sounded delicious and gave me a starting point. I was feeling creative so I gave it a shot and I made this most delicious pasta dish. I quickly tried to jot down the ingredients and measurements before I forgot. Many times I have made something that we really liked but later I couldn't remember exactly how I made it. My husband raved about it - success! I could go for it again tonight! It was that good!

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion diced
4 - 6 shiitake mushrooms sliced
2 oz. sliced prosciutto di parma
1/3 cup white wine
8 large shrimp peeled and deveined (21-25 ct.)
½ cup frozen peas
1 ½ cups crushed tomatoes or pureed diced tomatoes
½ cup heavy cream
grated parmigiano reggiano

Heat the butter and olive oil in a heavy bottomed sauté pan. Add diced onions and once they begin to soften add the shiitake mushrooms. Cook until the onions are softened and lightly browned. Add the prosciutto and shrimp. Once the shrimp is pink on the outside, add the wine to deglaze the pan. Next add the peas. After about a minute add the tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes pureed in the food processor). Simmer until the shrimp are just cooked through. Next add the cream followed by the grated parmesan cheese. Toss with fresh fettucine and serve immediately. Buon appetito!

3 comments:

  1. I love getting recipe inspiration from restaurants...decoding their recipes is so much fun! That is definitely a gorgeous plate of pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I love that pink cream sauce...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! The pictures are not flattering but this was so tasty!

    ReplyDelete