Thursday, September 17, 2009

Only 2 Cloves of Garlic in the House!

It was really late and I hadn't started dinner or even thought about dinner. I usually at least have an ingredient for inspiration - tonight nothing. I always have a bag of shrimp in the freezer for the rare occassion when I lose focus of my food obsession! Shrimp scampi - quick, delicious, no recipe to follow. I defrosted the shrimp and started gathering the rest of my ingredients, a lemon, butter, olive oil, kosher salt, red pepper flakes, white wine, parsley, and of course plenty of garlic. WAIT - 2 cloves of garlic - that's all I have??!! Can't be! I always buy garlic. Funny thing is that I grew up in a garlic-free household and now I would say that garlic is in at least 90% of things I make! I bought it on Sunday - gone without a trace. I am seriously perplexed! Meanwhile, I burned the olive oil and butter. Poured it out - no salvaging burned butter. About 1 minute away from declaring that everyone is on their own tonight, I recalled Tyler Florence's shrimp scampi recipe that calls for shallots, and yes, 2 cloves of garlic! I made some angel hair pasta and steamed zucchini on the side. Delicious! I still don't know what happened to the garlic...

2 comments:

  1. Wow... only two cloves of garlic sounds like a nightmare to me! But your pasta looks delicious regardless. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an incredible meal! That happened to me once with butter...it was around the holidays and I had purchased butter to make cookies. I got all the groceries inside and put away (or so I thought) and there was no sign of the butter that I vividly remembered buying. About a month later I found it in my trunk (it must have fallen out of a bag)...yuck!

    ReplyDelete