Friday, October 22, 2010

Embracing Fall Foods

I love summer and had a hard time letting go of it this year.  Gone are the tomatoes, the fresh corn and the peaches...  but I am finally accepting of the fact that fall is here and it sure beats winter.  Fall also is just beautiful right here in NJ.  The trees have some nice color, the days have been relatively warm and the crisp cool nights are perfect for sleeping.  Fall foods tend to be heartier and homier to me than summer foods - a nice change of pace but I have to watch the calories!

Here are some of the fall foods that I have been enjoying...

Thanksgiving Day Sandwich from Hinck's Turkey Farm in Wall, NJ 
Fresh roast turkey on a hard roll with stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy - Why wait for Thanksgiving?! 
Classic Meatloaf with a brown sugar, ketchup and apple cider vinegar glaze - total comfort food!
Sweet Potato Wedges - Peeled sweet potatoes cut into wedges, tossed with kosher salt, cumin, and a little vegetable oil - baked at 400 degrees on a sheet pan until lightly browned and crispy - Delicious and healthy too!
Rutabaga from the CSA box - delicious simply boiled, mashed with butter, milk, salt and pepper
Product Raves
  • Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups - salty, sweet and incredibly delicious!
  • Red Jacket Orchards Apple Cider from New York State - they have been making the cider for 50 years- no wonder it's so good!
  • Wemrock Orchards Apple Cider Donuts made in Freehold, NJ - donut perfection!

11 comments:

  1. Amen! Why wait for Thanksgiving to enjoy these delicious foods.

    As soon as I read, fall weather is perfect for sleeping, thought she knows me! I love Fall weather for two reasons... The first, I can open the windows at night, while sleeping it's awesome. The 2nd, I can eat outdoors. I live in North Florida, summers are sticky and hot (yuck).

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving that turkey sandwich! And I have roasted sweet potatoes all the time, but never have sprinkled with cumin...going to try that!
    Don't you think rutabega is an under-used veggie? We love it at my house.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasted sweet pottoes all week - and the turkey sandwich beckons.I miss summer but embrace fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can spell potato. Really. I just cannot type it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to try rutabagas! Love that juicy meatloaf and all the trimmings. Will pass on the candy but I will have a closer look at the cider!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, cider donuts! All your fall foods sound delicious, Jen! That Thanksgiving Day sammy is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had forgotten how much I love rutabagas mixed with mashed potato. One of my Thanksgiving favorites. I did not however, forget my love of Wemrocks apple cider donuts...I will have to get over to Sickles tomorrow and but some.
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love summer. But, must say, winter dishes are hearty and comforting. The meat loaf looks so good!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I put brown sugar in my ketchup for meatloaf too! I always thought that was just me...:)

    ReplyDelete